|MAIG’s Mayor Bloomberg|
The National Rifle Assn. (NRA) membership told Mayors Against Illegal Guns, via pollster Frank Luntz, that they support sensible gun control. This must have sent CEO Wayne LaPierre into the atmosphere; this fanatic is and has had a no-negotiations position for years. Even on assault weapons and high capacity magazines. Even after Virginia Tech, Tucson and now Aurora, Colorado. The CrooksandLiars blog calls it a “real split” with “rabid” NRA leadership.
I have regularly put down NRA members because it seemed to me that they were as rabid as old Wayne and his minions but, hopefully, I am wrong. Most of my conclusions were based on comments I have received when writing about gun control; many are absolutely unprintable, and that does say something for at least a portion of the members. Also, I was crucified by NRAers when I posted on Daily Kos, eventually being thrown off the site for my views on gun control.
MUST SEE Young Turks video on Frank Luntz poll:
Here’s what New York Mayor Richard Bloomberg’s MAIG group found out:
87 percent of NRA members agree that support for 2nd Amendment rights goes hand-in-hand with keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.
There is very strong support for criminal background checks:
- 74 percent support requiring criminal background checks of anyone purchasing a gun.
- 79 percent support requiring gun retailers to perform background checks on all employees – a measure recently endorsed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade association for the firearms industry.
- NRA members strongly support allowing states to set basic eligibility requirements for people who want to carry concealed, loaded guns in public places. By contrast, the NRA leadership’s top federal legislative priority – national reciprocity for concealed carry permits – would effectively eliminate these requirements by forcing every state to allow non-residents to carry concealed guns even if they would not qualify for a local permit.
NRA members support many common state eligibility rules for concealed carrying:
- 75 percent believe concealed carry permits should only be granted to applicants who have not committed any violent misdemeanors, including assault.
- 74 percent believe permits should only be granted to applicants who have completed gun safety training.
- 68 percent believe permits should only be granted to applicants who do not have prior arrests for domestic violence.
- 63 percent believe permits should only be granted to applicants 21 years of age or older.
|NRA’s idea of gun control|
If you have been reading this blog, you know that a great majority of what I have been advocating is included here. It is also written about in other blogs like New Trajectory and Common Gunsense. The Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence, States United to Prevent Gun Violence and the Brady Campaign all support similar types of regulation. The only issue not addressed is the banning of assault weapons and high capacity gun magazines. See the Luntz poll here.
Wacky Wayne will no doubt find countless things wrong with the poll, probably even attacking pollster Frank Luntz, most assuredly Mayor Bloomberg and the mayors Against Illegal Guns. But maybe the time has come to challenge
Wayne LaPierre and his NRA leadership on the grounds that most all of the absurdity he has spouted in the past is just plain garbage and we are finally fed up with it.