Any candidate who expects to be President cannot do it without some help from the female vote. Barack Obama won the women’s vote by 12 percentage points in 2012 against Mitt Romney. A recent Gallup Poll gave Hillary Clinton a 56% favorability rating with women. Although I cannot find a poll indicating Bernie Sanders’ support by women, below are his stands/votes on women’s issues:
- Voted YES on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act.
- Endorsed as “preferred” by The Feminist Majority indicating pro-women’s rights.
- Enforce against wage discrimination based on gender.
- In 2003, Sanders was among 32 co-sponsors of the Prison Rape Elimination Act, a measure to “establish a zero-tolerance standard” for sexual violence in prison.
- In 2011, Sanders co-sponsored a measure to address the rape kit backlog.
- In 2012, Sanders co-sponsored the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act.
- In 2013, he called on the Dept. of Veterans Affairs to step up efforts to provide care and benefits for veterans who experienced sexual assault in the military.
- In 2014, Sanders voted for New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s proposal to move the system of reporting and prosecuting rape in the military outside the chain of command.